The Soul Contract Trend



Today, so many psychics and mediums talk of "soul contracts" which as far as I can gather are "contracts" with God? with the universe? with ourselves? to accomplish certain goals in this life? to educate our souls? to develop our spirits? to enlighten? to work off bad karma from past lives? Frankly, I don't get it.

How anyone could be so insensitive as to sincerely believe that life is some sort of business agreement with the divine is very much beyond me. That psychics, who obviously have spiritual contacts in the other world, can advance a theory so devoid of all humanity shocks me deeply. 

Have these people thought through the implications of a "soul contract"? For instance, let's take a soldier in WW I. "I agree that in the first flower of my youth I will spend months in a muddy, maggot ridden trench, be gassed, or die horribly while shot and cut to ribbons caught in barb wire.". Or suppose we consider a Civil War soldier. "I will be shot in battle and have to have my leg amputated without anesthesia, be in horrible pain and die of infection, breaking my wife's and mother's heart and leaving my children fatherless." Or take a woman in the Nineteenth Century having a baby. "I agree to have my second child and die in childbed fever leaving my other child motherless and my husband to die of grief. Or a sufferer of incurable tuberculosis in the early Twentieth Century. "I agree to get tuberculosis in my youth, cough up blood and live in a sanatorium with others who are also dying of tuberculosis and die horribly in a few months." Who would agree to any of this and why? 

But the most obvious result of this kind of thinking is that anyone who believes this is free from the responsibility to make the world a better place. Since souls have chosen their fates, it's their own fault and all we have to do is be kind to them as they endure their dreadful contract. 

Isn't it clear to any thinking person that we must support, encourage, reward and celebrate anyone who alleviates human suffering? Isn't it obvious that we are meant to be part of God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven? No matter what your religion, don't most people regard those who help their fellow man as good people? 

Psychics and mediums seem to be agreement about this soul contract business, so I presume they are sensing something real, but it seems to be too vague, too cold and inhuman to accept as the whole story. I think our human minds cannot ever comprehend why there is so much suffering in this world. We can only pray that it is for a greater purpose and that God loves us.


This is the strangest afterlife story you will ever read. A man with a divided soul, one in hell and one in heaven, came back to confess the truth and expose how the devil ruined his life. A must read for anyone struggling to reconcile sin and mental illness.

Comments

Popular Posts